Early Alert is a communication tool that supports student success. It allows instructors to raise concerns, offer praise or refer students to campus support resources and shares instructors comments with students via email. Instructors can raise “flags” if there is a concern or send “kudos” to students who are performing well in coursework.
Flags and kudos can be raised manually, based on grade book data and/or through responses to a progress survey at four and eight weeks into a semester.
Recommendations for support services are communicated to the students and appropriate personnel are informed of the flags, kudos and/or referrals. Students receiving a flag are put in contact with appropriate support offices, instructors or advisers and are encouraged to use the MU Connect online appointment system to schedule meetings.
Supports identifying students at risk
- Early Alert Instructions and How to Guide (PDF)
- Raising Flags and Kudos: Best Practices (PDF)
- MU Connect Flag Guide (PDF)
- Tracking Items Instructions and How to Guide (PDF)
- Resolving Flags Guide (PDF)
Take action to support students
- Early Alert Intervention Support Guide
- Early Alert Flag Management Matrix (PDF)
- Early Alert Flag Manager Matrix- New Student Survey (PDF)
- Early Alert Flag Manager Matrix- Student Raised Flags (Request Help) (PDF)
- MU Connect Referral Guide (PDF)
How To Raise Flags & Kudos on MU Connect